Friday, July 24, 2009

Simple Pleasure

I lifted the book off the shelf and began reading. It was a book of poems and I read them dramatically. We laughed as I enacted the drama of Emily Dickenson's words, at times convinced that Emily was making up words to fit her need.

It was simple pleasure, reading and enjoying poetry. I wonder what life was like when people spent their evenings in parlors reading to each other?

In honor of this fabulous memory I am posting a poem that I loved from that afternoon.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
~Emily Dickenson

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

(Sorry I deleted the first comment. I had some grammatical errors.)I am glad you have found drama and poems again. There are many joys in living simple. Please keep sharing. Mom

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin