Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sabbath?

I have not written here in ages- I mean there have been some posts here and there, but I am not writing consistently or with the quality that I aspire to. I would love to say that my recent failure to post has been because I have been too busy 'living life' to write about it. Truthfully, I have just been too busy. Too busy to reflect; too busy to fulfill many of my commitments with care; too busy to take time to rest.


Each Friday my little android phone reminds me that I have Sabbath scheduled for Saturday, and each reminder is ignored. Last week I skipped out on a ONE campaign event, because I realized while most people get excited about their weekends to rest and have fun, I mostly think of all the work and commitments I have. It was amazing how skipping just one thing (well 2, I bailed on Sunday morning church as well) can really change a weekend. It was restful and wonderful, in fact it really was so great that I am going to post a very late reflection on it soon, but still a tad bit overstuffed.

I am afraid I am on the verge of burnout, but I have so much I want to and need do.

As I write this it strikes me as profound that the Sabbath is a commandment- taking one day off a week ranks up there with love God, don't kill people, tell the truth and don't have sex with other people's spouses. Seriously working 7 days a week ranks with murder and adultery? Add to that even before the 10 commandments were given from the beginning God made it a point to let us know that it took 6 days to create the world, then there was rest. A full day of rest. All seven days matter, 6 for work and 1 for rest.

So why is it that I think it is no big deal to ignore that little reminder? How is it that I fill my Saturday, my everyday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. rushing from one commitment to the next? Do I really think that God can create the universe and rest, but if I fail to run around for one day a week my friends will feel neglected, slavery will go unchallenged, my career as a faith leader will never come into existence, and really just about everything I care about will crumble? I hope my ego is not quite that over inflated, but actions speak louder than words.

Maybe next week I won't hit the dismiss button.

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin