Monday, January 10, 2011

Anchors




(all images via pinterest)

In high school I wore a ring from James Avery (Texans will know what that store is) that had the words faith, hope, and love on it. The symbol for hope on the ring was an anchor. I lost the ring in college, but later found the same ring at a resale shop. I still have it sitting on my dresser.

In the past few months as I have thought more about hope. I have thought about what it means to believe things are changing, that you are growing, that there is more and better, and that it is worth pursuing. I have held fast to hope and it has held me through the chaos.

I love marking significant things and healing in my life. Alters are prominent throughout the Hebrew Bible and I feel like there is a reason why God continually asked people to mark the moments that they saw God move. These alters reminded them and remind us that in the chaos God was there. I feel like my tattoos are kind of like alters, recognizing what God has done. So I am pondering an anchor tattoo. A symbol of being grounded and connected, being able to hold fast in a storm, a symbol of hope.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I'm digging that first anchor or the simple thin one near the elbow... I need to get on this :)

Sarah Rochelle said...

Those two are my favorite as well, I am SO torn!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin