Monday, May 31, 2010

Dragons and Truth


Harry Potter and friends on a Dragon


Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.
~G.K. Chesterson

I don't generally like fantasy, but I am finally reading the Harry Potter series. I have seen all the movies and I loved them. I just read the part in book 4 when Harry flew around dragon to get the golden egg, and I loved it. I mean who can help but love the underdog survivor that just wants to be good and is always in trouble? Who can't help but love the boy that is so lonely and scared? Who can help but love it when it isn't his strength but his brains that save him?

I also love the quote above. I like that truth is not found in fact but in meaning and message. I like that courage is not the absence of fear but the willingness to face it, and I think that hope is not the absence of doubt, but the willingness to believe in the best despite it. So as I enter a new week I must say:

Hello world, bring me your best dragons, I will beat them, or just fly around them for a while.

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin